Monday, November 19, 2012

1860s sheer gown?!

Why, yes! :D
One of my older sisters has adored the 1860s sheer gowns for quite some time and recently my mom found her some cute white sheer fabric from Walmart. (And from the dollar bin, of course. Though we'll see how it washes up...) I was interested in a sheer gown too, but didn't really want the same fabric, and wasn't willing to spend the money on it. (Even a dollar a yard seemed expensive that day. :P ) So I hoped to come across some more sheer fabric sometime, but I rather let it go, and forgot. Then!! :D After a week or so, on our next grocery trip, we stopped at a little recycling thrift store in town. And guess what I found among their odd and random items for sale?? :D A bolt of sheer fabric! With half dollar size and quarter size bouquets of flowers here and there. :) I didn't know how much yardage was there, but I thought if nothing else I could make a sheer blouse (perhaps not very period correct, but...), or maybe a child's dress for one of my siblings. :) The bolt looked old from the printing on it, and I'd judge it was from the 70s or 80s. (Maybe I'm wrong, but you get the idea. Old.) there was also an old price sticker on it too that marked 2.99. (Though I knew they'd probably charge less than half of that, since everything there is generally at a very low price! ;) ) So, I went up and asked the lady in charge what the price was. She looked at the fabric a moment, then stated "25 cents". :) I paid 25 cents for the whole bolt, and later I found that I had 6 and a quarter yards fabric. That's less than 5 cents a yard!! :D Okay! I'm done! My point is, "miracles" happen. :)
So! Me and my sister have been planning our sheer dresses. I know what I want mine to look like, but my sister is yet undecided. We probably won't start sewing on them until after the Candlelight Tour, maybe not even until January.. We'll see!! When I don't feel busy with other sewing projects! Then I'll start! :) Hopefully.

No comments: